Thursday, January 1, 2015

Navigate 3.1.2 Creation and Investigation into Courses

Going into this quest I was super excited to try my hand at creating a course shell in a LMS.  I chose  schoology because I've heard so much great buzz about it recently and quickly got to work.  As with the Recorded Session Quest, the hardest and most time consuming component of creating a course shell within schoology was setting up and authorizing my account.

Once logged in, I was impressed at the ease of putting the course together!  Last summer I built a course website from scratch using Google Sites and now feel like I spent a lot of wasted time when there is a resource like schoology on the Web 2.0.  It is streamlined, super easy, and has some really awesome tools!
Upon setting up my course shell, I added a discussion forum as a place for students to ask questions about the course and assignments.  I also tried my hand at posting an upcoming event, an assignment, a folder for additional resources, and an update.  Without any real students, I did not get a chance to test run the gradebook or attendance tools, but a quick glance proved that they are just as streamlined and easy to use as the others.

The last step in creating my course shell in schoology was to upload/import the Introduction to Digital Citizenship content from GAVS.  Just like I would from a Learning Object Repository (LOR), the process of importing content might have been the easiest step of all.  As part of the Add Materials feature is the option to Add File/Link/External Tool.  With one click and the copy/paste of an url, the fully functioning content was immediately available to my students.


4 comments:

  1. How did you upload the content into schoology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bradley! One of the 'Add Materials' options is to add file/link/external tool. You will need to copy & paste the url of the module from GAVS and it should upload without problem. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. I did that and I can get a link. However, according to your second image, it looks like the website is part of your schoology website. How did you get it to function like that?

      Delete
    3. By the way, thanks for your prompt reply.

      Delete