Monday, January 12, 2015

Communicate 4.3.1 The Synchronous Session

[Image Source]

I've mentioned in previous posts my experience as a student in an online gifted endorsement.  While I thrived in the asynchronous discussion forums and enjoyed the autonomy of the course work, I especially came to appreciate and look forward to the weekly small group synchronous session.   I learned from my experience that although a virtual course is a distinctly individual environment, interaction through synchronous sessions is necessary to maintain a "true classroom culture."

Simply put, the synchronous session is the human element of a virtual classroom.  Any teacher's goal is to create a community of learners and the synchronous session is the medium in which a virtual teacher builds such a community.  Whether a meeting with students to discuss a topic or open office hours where students and parents can ask questions and receive real-time answers, the synchronous session is a most valuable component of an online classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment